On changes and the in-between

Post image for On changes and the in-between

There are some things that come unexpectedly. Like suddenly a baby is a toddler and suddenly all the kids need new shoes and suddenly 5 years of homeschooling is coming to an end. Suddenly I’m 35 years old. It is all so sudden. It seems like this many children in, I should be expecting the unexpected. But even my imagination falls short in seeing these things coming.

In just a couple weeks my boys are headed to public school. We always evaluate our homeschool plans each year for each child, but the truth is we never thought we would make this kind of right turn. We are equally thrilled and terrified and that’s just this morning. I think my roller coaster of emotions won’t slow down until well into the school year and even then I might still be wringing my hands when no one is looking.

When we broke the news to the boys, they literally, all three, burst into tears. They didn’t see it coming either. But I kid you not, by the end of my conversation with them they were asking why school couldn’t start sooner and why did they have to wait two months for it mom?

So I am staring down the back-to-school lists for the first time ever, and trying to wrap my brain around things that are not on that list, but that might help my new-to-the-school-grind boys. No, I’m not sure they need a mini-fridge just yet (though they are trying to convince me) but I feel like maybe a tablet for homework might be a good idea for my oldest? Going into 5th grade and being a pre-teen seems harder these days than when I was a kid. This Galaxy Note is all about doing word docs and the heavy lifting of word processing and you can write directly on it with the stylus that comes with.

galaxy note review

Obviously this is more of a “want” than a “need”, but already he feels excited about doing homework on it and reading on it so I’m calling this a WIN. Because mood swings. And hormones. And going to public school for the first time ever.

The Galaxy Note is the new sought after device in the house full of Apple products. Also shhhhhh don’t tell anyone but I think we like it better than our iPad.

I’m doing my heavy back-to-school shopping at Staples this year because they were somehow psychic and swooped in and offered to partner with us before anyone knew we would really need their help.

If you have any tips in the back-to-school category I am all ears! And if you have any questions about the Galaxy Note I have answers. We really do love it.

Full disclosure: Staples.com provided me with the product for review. The thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own. Feel free to shop their entire line of tablets online.

the Blah Blah Blahger July 17, 2013 at 11:36 am

This is a BIG change…but I know God will meet you all there!

Also, he looks like such a big boy in that picture. Argh!!!

Thirdly (heh!), how did we ever do homework without the internet and tablets?!?! :-)

arianne July 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I know, I mean doing homework where you had to go to the LIBRARY to look up something, can you believe we ever did that? I remember being in college and wondering if this internet thing would always be just for the geeks…

And he has, like, broad shoulders now. And he is past my shoulders. I don’t know when it happened!

Anirudda March 16, 2014 at 1:12 am

Oct. 22, 2012WHAT: Chicken for Children fundraiser for the Dr. Bill Lewis Center for Children fetnariug Nelson’s barbecued chicken dinnerWHEN: 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Oct. 31WHERE: Free delivery in Fort Wayne or pick up at Plymouth Congregational Church, 501 W.Berry St.TO ORDER: Call (260)750-8032 or email Rebecca Nix at . Orders will be taken until 500 dinners are sold. Dinners sell out fast so ORDER NOW!COST: $9/meal includes: bd Nelson’s chicken & Pit-Tatoes,™ green beans, bread/butter and a treat. **Great time-saver for Halloween night or enjoy for lunch at your place of work or home! All proceeds benefit the Dr. Bill Lewis Center for Children which provides forensic interviews of child victims of alleged sexual abuse.

HopefulLeigh July 17, 2013 at 11:43 am

Excited to see what comes of this season for you, friend! Also echoing JJ’s question about homework in the age of paper and pens. :)

arianne July 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I still really like writing down lists and ideas, but more and more I’m finding that it’s just easier for me to stay organized when I keep things in my phone/computer and have them synced. I wish I could stay analog, but dang it’s all so functional!

I also feel like maybe we had less homework back then…ha!

dearabbyleigh July 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm

school and homework and hormones, oh my. i love how you see your boys through every stage, equipping them with the physical and emotional supplies they need for the next step. i think they are going to love school, and coming home from school to you!

arianne July 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm

This is such a huge compliment to me, thank you so much for really “seeing” me. I hold these words close to my heart in this time. xoxo

Kelly @ Love Well July 17, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I love the building excitement from you and the boys about this new twist and turn. It’s a good one, and yes, I think a tablet is a GREAT investment at the middle-school age. I hear rumors that our school district requires an iPad for high schoolers. Speaking as one who didn’t even get an electronic typewriter until college (and even then, I could only see one line of text at a time before making it real), I am in awe.

Stephanie Precourt July 17, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I think your family will love school and all the extra surprises along the way- I think school helped me get to know each of my kids even better- because they are different people than they are at home- and I love seeing all their different “sides”!

Steph

Megan at SortaCrunchy July 17, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Oh, I so adore this. It’s all about the unexpected right turn. And sometimes it’s a hard right, isn’t it? I admire you for listening so closely to the direction God led you in this change, and I can’t wait to hear how it all plays out.

Savannah August 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Well wishes for the school year! Ps I love that couch !

Tahnya Kristina August 8, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Its so amazing how quickly the time passes. It seems like its trying to get away from us! I can’t believe it almost fall myself.