On turning 8 years old

Post image for On turning 8 years old

He woke me up today around 5am telling me he had fallen out of his bed while asleep. I told him it was his first birthday present, the tumble was, and he snorted and giggled because he’s the one with the best sense of humor. I prayed for him a bit and sent him back to bed alone, no need to tuck him in anymore, because he’s just that old now. I held on extra long when I hugged him, though, because it’s a little bittersweet along with that freedom to just fall back asleep, knowing he can get back to bed on his own.

Then he woke me up again a couple hours later showing me a picture of our front yard, entirely TP’d just for him with a Happy Birthday sign right outside our door. We still don’t know who did it, but I wonder if that person (people?) know how extremely special it made my newly-minted 8 yr old feel. He is the sensitive one, the middle child one, the guy who often feels a bit invisible. I often think about how much God knew he’d need his birthday to come first before his big brother’s comes next week so he could feel special first for once. All morning he keeps saying, “I can’t believe someone thought I was THAT special!”, and my mama heart explodes once again.

He is the one built like me, so he now is old enough to notice that his brothers are built like daddy and wonder why he, who eats the very best in the whole family, has to feel about his body at this young age that it’s not perfect. We’re working on that one, because I know where he gets those feelings too…

For one whole week his brother is 9 and he is 8 and the playing field is leveled a bit. Sometimes they talk about what it would be like if one of the three of them were not here, were never born, and they get emotional and cry and then 5 minutes later are arguing and punching again.

I watch the life of three boys slowly turn into young men and I can hardly breathe for how much they mean to me. Raising men – there’s hardly a bigger assignment. Raising good men – oh Lord, please help me. Raising good God loving men – oh Lord, please let me.

Today 8 is a really big deal to this little man, and I’m so honored to raise up this little soul. He someday will grace another little family with his charm and unique view of the universe, his own family, but for now — we get him for a bit longer.

Happy birthday, Jamie Reed. xoxo

the Blah Blah Blahger August 29, 2012 at 11:48 am

I LOVE that he felt so special because of the TP…such a boy thing…and so neat! :-)

Arianne August 29, 2012 at 11:55 am

I know, isn’t it tho? I didn’t even realize that until you said it because I’m always DROWNING in boy things! Ha! Love it.

Kelly Sauer August 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

Oh, oh, oh. This makes me cry so much. The way you SEE him, the way you write about life. Happy birthday to you both. I love how each of their birthdays is one of ours, when we became “mama to ____.” Enjoy it some more, do. :-)

Arianne August 29, 2012 at 11:54 am

He was my very first home birth (I’ve now had 4) and I couldn’t even go there today. He is so so special. <3

Kelly @ Love Well August 29, 2012 at 12:15 pm

The view through your eyes is breathtaking. May your boy have the happiest of birthdays, and may our great God make us worthy of these immeasurable gifts.

(P.S. The TP’ing is priceless.)

john schulenburg August 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Jamie is so very special, loved, unique, funny; love his Jamieisms, love his bright eyes and little grin. Love so much about him. Happy Birthday, big guy!

Papa

Sarah Bessey August 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Such a boy, such a boy. (And the TP thing is a radical act of love, clearly.)

Kara @SimpleKids.net August 29, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Happy Birthday! And the TP thing? Awesome!

Mela Kamin August 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm

well, good gravy – this just hit me right where I am! … my littlest turns 8 Monday & his big bro 10 a week later, so I truly get all that you said here. I pray those same prayers – today there were many tears, punches – and then giggles, hugs, wild stories and lego creations. I’m now thinking TPing sounds like a marvelous, mischievous gift for our little Gus. Maybe I’ll get his big bro & sis in on it too. Happy Birthday, Jamie!

Tara @ Skippin' Rope August 30, 2012 at 9:57 am

I can’t believe Jamie is 8!!!! He is such an incredible and special kid, so much so!!! I hope all his birthday wishes come true. Sending lots of love and hugs to him and to you mama!

XOXO