On being pickers

Post image for On being pickers

We needed a bed so we went with what would fit our two not small frames and heights with a baby in between and it was a king size bed. I lay on it and feel so luxurious I could cry happy tears every single night. Stretching out, feeling like I could really finally relax, I didn’t get all emo about it per usual because I knew it was a gift from God. Maybe that’s silly, but I thing God can be in the business of giving a new awesome bed when He wants.

We also needed some other furniture and God provided some pretty epic things in the most random way. A sleepy estate sale we stumbled upon was the canvas of a life well lived by some sweet older lady that had obviously passed on. I mean, if she had simply gone to a nursing home, would she really have left all her vintage clothes and prescription sunglasses at home? I don’t think so.

It occurred to me that we were like vultures picking over her things (are we pickers now?), that she loved all that stuff and it meant nothing to her now. I want to live a simple life but I still love pretty things because I so deeply value the art that goes into creating everything.  Her stuff was just stuff now, no not eternal, but it did mean something to us and we took home a beautiful dining set that was much needed. Thank you sweet older lady with great taste, for holding onto your midcentury furniture this long.

A young girl came up to us in a thrift store parking lot “I heard you’re looking for a couch?” == she was needing to sell all her things because she is pregnant and just lost her job and is heading back to Ohio where her family will help her. I bought more than I should from her, but I figured she needed my grocery money more than I did in that moment.

The moving truck arrived at our new house here in Phoenix and every tiny string I had holding myself and these kids together was quietly cut so that by the end of the next day we were all falling apart. Utter chaos and boxes and oh how hard it is to move with lots and lots of kids. They need their routines back, but I think those are in an unlabeled box on the back porch somewhere.

May is already here, and May still reminds me of the due date that I never reached with Mabel. I think I’m past grief and then certain things warn me that they’re about to bubble up again. May 30th is one of those things.

I’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to share this, but here are some other things I’ve been up to:

I had two incourage posts in the past few weeks, one was about that community shaped hole in your heart, and the other one is about comparing yourself to everyone online. They seemed to resonate with people, I hope they do with  you too.

I also had a Deeper Story post last week, about uprooting and having radical gratitude.

And have you been keeping tabs on Simple Design? We had a fantastic post by Hayley of The Tiny Twig on 5 favorite drug store finds and on Monday we’re starting a “share your thrift haul” series – if you do any thrifting/garage sales/goodwill-ing this weekend, share your haul with us on Monday!

I try not to just post here when all I’ve got for you is rambling, but then I’d not post here much at all during this season of upheaval. I want to hear about your ramblings too, do share?

Janelle-A Story of Grace May 4, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Thinking of you, sweet child of God. I have those moments where I think the grief is under control, then something small happens, and bam. You’re amazing hun. God bless you and your precious family.

Janelle

Linda May 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I always enjoy your posts! Praying you settle into a routine that works well for your family in your new home…posts pics when you can of your new space so we can see the before & after photos! : )

Arianne May 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Oh thank you so much! I’m excited to share pics, it’s all coming together!

Adventures In Babywearing May 4, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I hope you’ll be sharing photos of the new place, and a much needed family photo so I can get a good look at everyone. We are good here. It’s good to be good.

Steph

Arianne May 17, 2012 at 6:37 pm

pics coming soon! :) it’s so fun to style a new house.

Kara @SimpleKids.net May 6, 2012 at 8:12 am

We have been breaking out the rompers for the baby, too :-) It is nice to see some sunshine after such a dreary season.

Thinking of you, glad that you let yourself ramble when you need to.

Best wishes!

Arianne May 17, 2012 at 6:36 pm

thank you sweets!

mandie May 7, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Oh goodness- I went to an estate sale a few weeks back and it broke my heart that there were half used toiletries just sitting on the vanity, with a sign that said $1.00 each. It made me remember that this was someone’s home- someone who will not be coming back and then I didn’t haggle with their family over prices because really, how could I do that when there was half of a tothpaste tube in the bathroom? I know those feelings and I love a good deal and a great deal and making sure that everyone gets what they need, whether it’s the grocery money or the art or the respect of no one haggling over their deceased parent’s items.

Arianne May 17, 2012 at 6:36 pm

You feel me. So true.

the Blah Blah Blahger May 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm

There’s beauty in knowing that you’ll treasure something was previously loved by another.

Congrats on the new bed…

You are handling SO MUCH right now and all with grace – you inspire me!

Arianne May 17, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Aw, thanks JJ! <3

Megan at SortaCrunchy May 7, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I will never stop hearing myself in your words. I want to go be a picker with you. Here’s to a God who gives all things perfectly in His timing, and here’s to those who know to grasp the good even with hands burned by the bad.

Love you, dear one.

Arianne May 17, 2012 at 6:34 pm

And I will never stop being grateful for you in my life. To the moon. xoxo

Lisa-Jo@thegypsymama May 15, 2012 at 2:16 pm

“They need their routines back, but I think those are in an unlabeled box on the back porch somewhere.”

my heart, you are such a beautiful writer.

Arianne May 17, 2012 at 6:33 pm

ditto, m’dear. xo

misha lulu May 17, 2012 at 1:53 am

what a beautiful image!

Arianne May 17, 2012 at 5:47 pm

@misha lulu, thank you for visiting me here! My baby River is often seen sporting your wares – they’re our favorite. xoxo

Jordy May 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Welcome to Phoenix! Happy to have a fellow blogger in town. Never hesitate to reach out as you begin to settle in – if you have any questions, need suggestions, or are wondering if this is as hot as it gets. (No, it’s not. I’m sorry!) The chaos will settle, the boxes will clear, and your hearts will feel at home, soon enough. I hope June brings you refreshment. :)